Recent research has found massage therapy helps improve overall health and wellness. According to a recent survey, the American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA) found that 78 percent of individuals claim their primary reason for receiving a massage in the previous 12 months was medical (50 percent) or stress (28 percent) related. As a client in today’s marketplace, you must find a trusted and trained massage therapist to accurately troubleshoot the best therapy for your concerns.
At Premier Care Physiotherapy, our licensed massage therapists will assist you in finding the right massage therapy routine that will guide you to a healthier well being. There are many reasons for utilizing massage therapy to support overall health. MASSAGE IS GOOD MEDICINE.
Here is a list of the top 26 reasons to get a massage.
Click on the links below to get more detailed information on each subject.
1. Massage Therapy can relieve stress. In today’s fast paced world stress can have a negative impact on an individuals health and well being.
2. Massage Therapy can relieve postoperative pain. Postoperative pain can complicate and delay a patient’s recovery, lengthen hospital stays and costs, and interfere with a patient’s return to normal activities.
3. Massage Therapy can reduce anxiety. It can increase neurotransmitters associated with lowering anxiety and decrease hormones associated with increasing anxiety.
4. Massage Therapy can be effective for low back pain. Low back pain is the most common cause of job-related disability and a leading contributor to missed work.
5. Massage Therapy is a beneficial part of a treatment plan for people suffering with fibromyalgia. Fibromyalgia syndrome is a group of signs and symptoms that include chronic pain in muscles, tendons, ligaments and other soft tissues.
6. Reduce muscle tension with Massage Therapy. People who participate in exercise programs, as well as athletes in training, can benefit from massage therapy.
7. Enhance exercise performance with Massage Therapy. Millions of people around the world play sports and exercise.
8. Massage Therapy can be effective for tension headaches. Relieve tension headaches. tension headaches are the most common type of headache.
9. Massage Therapy can help improve sleep. Quality sleep is vital to health and wellness.
10. Massage Therapy can ease symptoms of depression. Depression can be a devastating and expensive condition.
11. A trained massage therapist can play a significant role in improving cardiovascular health. Heart organizations warn against the risks of high blood pressure which can lead to cardiovascular issues including stroke, heart disease and kidney failure.
12. Massage Therapy will reduce the pain of osteoarthritis of the knee. Osteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis, affecting millions of people.
13. Decrease stress in cancer patients with Massage Therapy. Recent studies show that massage therapy can reduce pain, stress, nausea, depression, distress, anxiety and fatigue in oncology patients.
14. Improve balance in older adults with Massage Therapy. Receiving regular massages have been shown to promote relaxation and stability in seniors.
15. Decrease rheumatoid arthritis pain with Massage Therapy. Massage therapy can decrease pain and have a significant impact on some patient’s ability to control the mobility of their limbs.
16. Temper the effects of dementia with Massage Therapy. A study in 1995 tested brief hand massage and therapeutic touch as interventions to reduce agitation behavior in patients with dementia.
17. Massage Therapy can promote relaxation. Receiving regular massage has been shown to promote relaxation.
18. Massage Therapy can lower blood pressure. In a study on the effect of trigger point therapy, there was a significant decrease in heart rate, systolic blood pressure and diastolic blood pressure.
19. Massage Therapy will decrease symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Massage improves subjective perception of and function for those with carpal tunnel syndrome.
20. Massage Therapy can help chronic neck pain. Research indicates that massage can reduce neck pain and intensity.
21. Massage Therapy can reduce lower joint replacement pain. Massage Therapy has been shown to reduce hip pain when walking or climbing stairs.
22. Massage Therapy will increase range of motion. Sports massage can be used to improve athletic performance, speed recovery, and can be utilized by all individuals who participate in any athletic and/or exercise program to help improve conditioning and maintain peak performance.
23. Massage Therapy can decrease migraine frequency. Headache frequency was significantly reduced within the first week of massage therapy.
24. Improve quality of life during hospice care with Massage Therapy. Massage Therapy can help alleviate the following symptoms and conditions: pain, anxiety, loss of sleep, depression, mood disorders, stress, and fatigue.
25. Massage Therapy will reduce chemotherapy related nausea. Caregivers reported an improvement in chemotherapy patients after a chair massage.
26. You get to get away from your kids / husband / wife / mother-in-law / job etc. etc. for 1 peaceful and relaxing hour.
Special credit to the American Massage Therapy Association for their extensive and thorough research into the benefits of massage. The links provided above go to the AMTA site. https://www.amtamassage.org/articles/1/News/detail/3124/25-reasons-to-get-a-massage
Massage is good medicine. We often think of massage as a treat for special occasions but the many health benefits that massage therapy offers needs to be considered as well. This truly natural, drug-free option can address any of the above conditions and more. Find out how you can benefit from adding massage therapy to your health and wellness regimen.
You are worth it! Set yourself on the path to better health and well-being. Call Premier Care Physiotherapy at 905-237-7174 to learn more about the benefits of massage therapy or to setup an appointment.